Tuesday, August 2, 2011

On my mind and in my heart

I have been loving the Summer and all that it brings with it! Warm nights, beautiful flowers, growing our garden and harvesting what it brings, swimming lessons, fun outings, camping, being together with friends and family, and most of all, just "being"! At the same time, and don't get me wrong, I love my kids!!! But It's HARD being a MOM sometimes. Being a "good" MOM that is! Trying to keep things organized, keep a routine, keep the house clean, keep kids "learning" and doing chores, balancing their fun and their responsibilities, playing referee when they get moody with each other, keeping bedtimes somewhat reasonable (not 10:00 every night!) and making sure that they have all that they need: love, security, good self-esteem, opportunities to learn, serve, and grow. Well, I have reflected on this A LOT lately and the other morning a talk came to mind ---a talk that was just given this past General Conference by Sister Jean A. Stevens. called, "BECOME AS A LITTLE CHILD". I went back and read it again.


She talked about the importance of our children and truly "BEHOLDING" them as the Savior said.

Elder M. Russell Ballard has taught us the importance of the Savior’s admonition to “behold your little ones” when he said: “Notice that He didn’t say ‘glance at them’ or ‘casually observe them’ or ‘occasionally take a look in their general direction.’ He said to behold them. To me that means that we should embrace them with our eyes and with our hearts; we should see and appreciate them for who they really are: spirit children of our Heavenly Father, with divine attributes”

There is not a more perfect place to behold our little ones than in our families. Home is a place where we can all learn and grow together.

So.... HOW can I do better? I have been trying to find a balance -- and trying to be a good Mom, but also trying not to loose it with my kids (I hate to admit that I have lost it more this past Summer than at any time before) I don't want to do that.....I want to do better and be better-- This talk spurred me onto searching other talks and I came upon this talk by Pres. Hinckley and loved it-- So I added it too! It has helped give me a fresh outlook, a better perspective, and some things to focus on as I try harder every day to be a better wife and Mommy! Hope this may be a benefit to you too!

http://lds.org/ensign/2001/06/behold-your-little-ones?lang=eng&noLang=true&path=/ensign/2001/06/behold-your-little-ones

1 comment:

Ironygirl said...

Thank you for posting these! I've had a really hard time with this lately as well. I'm glad I'm not alone and I appreciate you sharing these articles. Miss your family!